Saturday, May 23, 2015

You Can't Rush the Rooster


So my ice cream table set has been sitting for a little bit because life is busy.  Good...but busy.

My stencil arrived from The Brown Bag Stencil Co.  (You can find them on Etsy) so it was time to rock and roll!

I mixed up some black and gray acrylic paint because I didn't want a bold black.



I centered the stencil and taped it down. 


I'm still learning when it comes to stencils.  One of the big no-no's is not to load up your brush with too much paint. 


Another is to stencil straight up and down.  This will help keep from getting paint underneath the stencil and ultimately smudge your design.



Somehow, I still wind up with smudges.  Like I said, I'm still learning.   



 So I went back with a fine-tipped brush and straightened out those lines.  I also filled in some of the gaps in the letters so it didn't look so "stencilish". 


Once that dried, it was time to restain it and seal it.  I chose General Finishes "Exterior 450".  I want the set to be used outside, so I made sure to use a product that would keep it protected from rain, heat, and the elements.


This top coat is water-based and goes on kind of milky but dries clear.  You definitely don't want to over brush it.  Just put it on, watch for drips, and leave it alone. 

  
The next step is to seal the bottom of the tabletop, cut out new seats from plywood, and piece it all together.  

You can't rush the rooster! 

Linking to Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment