Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Oh Delia, You're Breaking My Heart

Now that the mirror was all finished, it was time for the bookshelf to get its makeover.  I took a ride to my parents' house over the weekend and brought it up from the basement.  I wasn't quite sure what to do with it.  It was stained in a reddish-brown color and I wanted to see what the wood looked like underneath.


Enter the orbital sander.  (Cue the Tim the Tool Man Taylor grunt.)


This guy was a gift from my Dad and it did a great job on the sides and the top of the bookshelf.  The wood looked OK underneath.  (I think it was pine, but I'm wasn't sure.)  There was also a fantastic breeze blowing, which kept most of the sawdust away from my face (or so I thought until I blew my nose later). 


The shelves were an entirely different story.  My sander, my Dad's palm sander, and my patience weren't making much of a dent.  I wasn't going to spend the time sanding each shelf down to the bare wood, so my other option was to chemically strip it.  Stripping paint isn't my most favorite activity, so I decided to paint it.  

I came home and surveyed my paint choices.  Then the proverbial wheels started turning.  Not too long ago, I bought a sheet set from The Christmas Tree Shop but they didn't fit my bed very well.  I'd been saving them for a project, and this was going to be just the right one!  
I decided to paint the bookshelf in Annie Sloan's "Pure White" and upholster the back with a swatch of my sheets!

To start, I took the back off by prying the staples off with a screwdriver.  


Then I went to town with Annie Sloan's chalk paint in "Pure White". 


After 2 coats, some touch ups, and some sanding, the paint job was all done.  I hammered feet into the bottom to stabilize the bookshelf and lightly distressed the edges.






The feet do a great job of stabilizing it - especially on carpet. 


For the back, I wanted to Mod Podge fabric on the panel.  It seemed easy enough.  I cut my fabric to size,


tried a corner with Mod Podge, and I didn't like the way that it looked.  That option was out.  Then I thought, "Oh!  I can just use thumb tacks to hold the fabric down."


Aaaaand that stretched the fabric, put holes in it, and distorted the pattern.  Then I tried to use spray adhesive and I wound up getting 1/4 inch dark lines going horizontally across the fabric.  It's pretty thin so I think some of the adhesive seeped through and stained the material.

Grrrr...

So then I went back to the drawing board aka my fabric basket.  The only other fabric that I had enough of to use as a substitute was a drop cloth.  Here's the brand that I had picked up for a different project.


I did a quick Google search and found another inspiration to shoot for:

Photo courtesy of Driven by Decor

While the back of this bookshelf is burlap, I thought a drop cloth would be rustic enough to pull off the look.  I love the nail embellishment going around the border too!  What a great touch!

I opened up the drop cloth and washed it to soften it up, shrink it, and get the chemical smell out.  After ironing it, I cut it to size with a few inches to spare on every side


...with Jake's supervision of course.

It was plain and needed a little something.  I didn't want to spend any money on this project so upholstery tacks were out.  So, I used a stencil that I already had and placed large and small lace circles using the same paint as the bookshelf color.   


Adorbs!

After the paint dried, I used Elmer's Craft Bond spray adhesive to attach the drop cloth to the back panel.   I trimmed it to size and then stapled it back on.


And here's Delia in all her glory!  She's simple but adorable.  The stenciled circles give her a whimsical touch - just enough pop without being over the top.



All that's left is to put on a topcoat of furniture wax and Delia is ready to be sold!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when a problem turns into an opportunity? - this finished up just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stencil detail on the back of Delia! I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling this piece.
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete